- Fleeing into the arms of a charlatan who purports to having predicted it
- Buying into Black Swan funds and protective products that cap all future upside and cost a fortune
- Obsessing over hedges after the fact
- Selling out with big (permanent) losses and sitting in cash
- Freezing 401(k) contributions or having retirement cash allocated to money market funds
- Excessive trading
- Planting a flag and being unwilling to publicly change our minds in the face of new evidence
- Throwing money at bizarre alternatives like coins, bars, bricks and bullion which have no proven ability to fund a retirement
- Conflating political views with investment expectations
Every one of these things is extremely detrimental to our financial health.
Nothing kills the long-term returns of a portfolio like throwing away the playbook in the heat of a market crisis.