529 plans are the best college savings option for most families. Here’s a 30-second primer on how to choose the right one for your family:
- 529s are funded with after-tax contributions; growth and distributions taken for higher-ed are tax free.
- Essentially every state has its own 529 program. You’re free to select whichever state’s plan you like.
- If your state gives you a significant tax deduction on contributions (dark green in the map below), it’s worth reviewing your state’s 529 first.
- If you don’t get a state tax deduction OR if it’s <5% OR your state offers tax parity (any color except dark green in the map below), go with the best plan available nationally.
- Utah’s 529 is NorthStar’s favorite in the nation because of low fees, great investment choices, no contribution minimums, and very easy setup.
Need help making the best 529 choice for your kids’ future?
Give us a call at 704-350-5028 for a free consultation.